Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pieces of the Past...


For those of you that don't know me, simple things in life are what make me happy. Clothes, jewelry, new gadgets, etc. really mean nothing to me. My family says that I was born in the wrong time. I feel it is my destiny to save as many old buildings/cabins as possible. One of my greatest concerns is preserving the past. We have moved many of the buildings from the farm I grew up here to our small farm. Many of these were built by my grandfather. Lately, we have been salvaging wood from the old barn to use here on other buildings. The man who bought our original farm has torn off most of the old section and re-working it with new wood. Of course, Hank and I had to salvage as much as possible since it was going to be burned! The original part of the barn is log (which was already there when his father purchased this farm). My Popaw had added on another large section along with a tremendous silo. Although the silo is now gone - the wood from it lives on as the floor of the meat house. Many of the old stall doors now grace our barn.
Today as we were working on the pile of old wood, Hank made a wonderful discovery. At the base of the old silo, he discovered a piece of concrete where my Popaw had etched his initials - PWH and the date 1927 OCT 14. As tears were streaming down my face when I saw the mark of my Popaw in the concrete, my wonderful husband gently pried off the pieces of concrete he could salvage that was put there so long ago. Please take time to remember the pieces of your past.

No comments: